Tuesday, February 2, 2010

I Needed a Couple Days To Soak It All In


Well the Grammy Awards have come and gone, and after much thought and meditation regarding the show, here are my thoughts:

-Taylor Swift becomes the youngest person EVER to win Album of the Year, which is undoubtedly the biggest award of the night. I have mixed feelings about this. I love T-Swift, and her album Fearless was a critical and commercial hit this year, so I understand why voters would choose it as Album of the Year.

HOWEVER. I do not think that it was a better album that Lady Gaga's The Fame, which I felt should have taken home the top prize.

-Gaga won two awards that night; Best Dance Recording for "Poker Face" and Best Electronic Album, but she was shut out of all the big awards and didn't even make an awards appearance onstage during the live telecast.

Lame.

- Although Swift won the big prize, Beyonce won the most. Sasha Fierce took home a whopping 6 awards on Grammy night, breaking the record for most wins by a female in one night (Beyonce, Norah Jones, and Lauryn Hill all won 5 awards during past Grammys).

That's impressive, and I think that every award she won was well deserved, EXCEPT Best Female Pop Vocal Performance, which she won with her song "Halo."

I'm sorry, but Pink should have definitely taken home this prize. I think she is highly underrated (she's taken home 2 Grammys during her career, compared to Beyonce's 13), and "Sober" was a powerful pop song this year.

- The Black Eyed Peas somehow won 3 awards...W...T...F...?

I can't believe that people think that BEP's music is 'critically acclaimed'. IT'S NOT. It is complete pop fluff, and don't get me wrong, I enjoy fluff, but this is ridiculous.

That being said, the entire show was highly entertaining and fun to watch, which obviously was apparent to many people as this year's show was the highest rated one in 6 years!

And although Britney did not win (she lost Best Dance Recording to Gaga), and although she was named the Worst Dressed of the night, I was PUMPED that she even showed up!!!!

Can't wait for next year!

(Image courtesy of examiner.com)

2 comments:

  1. i am disgusted taylor one. and i'm disgusted stevie nicks sung one of swift's awful songs. it would be like me forcing robert frost to read a piece of shit i wrote. gaga should have def won. her album was a smart catchy pop album and her lyrics were a clever look at what fame can do to a person and society...swifts was about a cute boy on the football team. OH and beyonce totally deserved the grammy for halo her voice is way better than pinks and that song is better than sober.

    ReplyDelete
  2. first of all, you spelled "won" wrong...

    second, I agree that Taylor should not have won. Gaga came out with one of the best pop records of the decade, superbly crafted, catchy, funky, sexy etc.

    third, It bugs me how Beyonce has a monopoly over EVER category at the Grammys; She wins in Pop, R&B, Urban etc. She needs to stick to one genre.

    ReplyDelete