Tuesday, February 9, 2010

The Divas Need to Step Up


I rarely blog about Mariah Carey; I'm not really sure why I don't, I do enjoy her music a lot and think she HAD one of the best voices in pop/r&b music. But if you listen to some of her live performances today and compare them to her 90's concerts, there's a BIG difference.

What happened!? Carey's famous 8-octave voice is so pathetic now that it's almost embarrassing. She doesn't have Whitney Houston's excuse for smoking too much crack...so is it just because MC became lazy and stopped training her powerhouse vocals?

Take a listen to two performances by Carey of her hit song "Make it Happen." One is from 2009 and the other is from 1994. Her voice is MUCH weaker, and she sounds pretty bad. And I don't think I am being unfair and pinpointing just a "bad" performance she had because I have seen many-a-mariah performance lately (does the Michael Jackson memorial ring a bell; when she could barely hit ANY of the notes to "I'll Be There") and they have been piss-poor.

You be the judge.

"Make it Happen" 1994

"Make it Happen" 2009

(Image courtesy of blogs.reuters.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment