Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Some Non-Pop Culture News...WORCESTER ELECTIONS TODAY


I felt the need to say a little something about today's municipal elections here in Worcester, just because as a reporter I have been following these candidates for the last 5 months and for the first time I kind of know a little bit about it!

Although turnout for Worcester elections is usually low (last election only about 20% of all registered voters in the city actually voted) but this year we have an actual race for mayor, which hopefully will bring some new people out!

The contenders for mayor are as follows"

- Konnie Lukes (incumbent)
- Joe O'Brien
- Kate Toomey
- Emmanuel Tsitsilianos

It could be a tight race: It's really come down to incumbent Lukes and O'Brien, who will be the front runners in the election. If I could vote (I am still registered in NH) I would fully support O'Brien. It's time for something new, and he has the ideas and the energy to successfully take over this position. As incumbent, Lukes will receive a large chunk of the votes to start with, but I think Worcester is ready for a change. As for Toomey, she's been successful on city council and the school committee but it's just not her time; she's a little bit out of her league. As for Tsitsilianos, this guy is a joke; a native of Greece with no prior political background, who I think is a little sketchy. My votes goes to O'Brien.

(Image courtesy of 3.bp.blogspot.com)

1 comment:

  1. What time does voting close at? I'd be interested to see who is elected to tackle some of Worcesters serious problems (I am also registered in NH so I can't vote either).

    ReplyDelete